Monday, March 31, 2014

Consecration and Conversion

I have to say, nothing feels greater than testifying to someone and feeling the power of the Holy Ghost testify that your words are true. This past month as a mission we have had a huge focus on the what, why, and how of Consecration and Conversion and there were areas I have been able to identify that needed changing and as such my power and authority to teach the gospel has increased. I hope that doesn't sound prideful but it highlights a true principle: As we consecrate our lives more fully to God, He comes closer to us and endows us with greater gifts. We were able to teach a lot of lessons this week and I have never felt the spirit stronger in any lessons than the ones we taught this week.

I want to highlight the power of the youth in missionary work. Elder Jolley and I have focused the past month on challenging the youth to share the gospel and invite their friends to Church, mutual, and to take the missionary lessons. They have responded quickly with great success! There has been a change felt in the ward we're serving in as the youth have actively become involved in missionary work.

I feel very strongly that the most effective way to feel an added measure of the spirit in your life is to become involved in missionary work. Sharing your testimony with someone who's faith is weak is one of the most faith strengthening experiences for the one bearing the testimony.

The most interesting thing that happened this week was a conversation I had over the phone with the angry and drunk grandmother of one of our youth investigators. It was so frustrating because Her grandson had been given permission to come with us to mutual and then by the time it was 7:00 she started calling asking where he was and when he'd be back. I was very respectful and she cooled off pretty quick. The tough thing was keeping her cool though because she was very unstable. It was really funny though because it was really easy to make her laugh so I spent most of the time experimenting how dull I could say something that would still make her laugh. By the end of the conversation she was O.K with her Grandson staying for mutual and me and her were best friends. Unfortunately she couldn't remember any of the conversation the next day so I still have to win her as a friend!

Thank you for the emails! Thank you for the prayers! This has been the best year of my life!

Love Elder Janis

One of Elder Janis' investigators


No comments:

Post a Comment