Tuesday, April 22, 2014

He Brought All the Color From the South With Him

Mom,

Sometimes I love reading your letters so much I wish I didn't have to worry about writing an email to go on my blog so I could just tell you what's going on and respond more fully to your letter. In fact that is mostly what I'm going to do today so I apologize if you don't get too much detail on my week. Just know that of course it was obviously the best week of my mission because it was the most recent :) I love all of it. Everything.

I love the word "warpath" you used to describe Dad and his research! That sounds just like him! I'm so glad you were able to find a place in Mexico that feels right. I feel good about it too and will support you as best I can! Here are some motivating quotes I've written on different diet and work out plans for missionaries:

"It's just like anything else, if you want it bad enough you'll get it." (Me)

"No pain no gain" (I'll claim this one ;))

"No victory comes without sacrifice" (Optimus Prime from Transformers)

"Aint nothin but a peanut" (Ronnie Coleman)

"If you want it, get it" (Me)

"Without goals there is no improvement. Without improvement there is no progress. Without progress there is no happiness. Hallelujah" (Elder Diaz)

"Doing hard things builds mental fortitude which is a God-Like attribute." (Me)

"Your body is the instrument of your mind and is the foundation of your character" (President Packer)

Hahahahaha funny story from last night. There is an african american guy named M W who gave a prayer at an Easter Devotional Elder Karl, Hyer, and myself organized for the Maricopa zone and stake. We had invited recent converts to share their conversion story and asked our bishop to finish with his testimony of Christ. It was a super awesome event and it was my first opportunity to conduct any sort of meeting like this. So back to M. He is one of our recent converts in this area and his background is southern baptist. He is all in with the mormons now and brought all the color from the south with him! By that I mean that he does the "Mmhmmmm's" and the "Praise Jesus" during meetings and prayers. He gave the closing prayer and in the middle of his prayer he said, "I just want to thank you Heavenly Father for the all the testimonies that have been born today and you know what? I want to bear my testimony too!" He then proceeded to testify of the love of Jesus and the gift of the restoration and the Plan of Salvation. It was my favorite prayer I've ever heard :)

It sounds like pass over was a huge success!!! I'm sure everyone loved it! You are so fantastic at pulling big events like that off and you do it flawlessly! Everyone can't ever tell if you had everything prepared hours in advance or if the final preparations were happening as the event was happening! I remember when you were the relief society president you did amazing things all the time. I am grateful for your example :)

Mom, you're the most amazing person in the world. I'm so thankful for you. You really are an angel in every way. I know that everything you're going through will be made right. Everything will work itself out. I'm learning that over and over again. For example with the devotional last night we didn't have anyone who could play the piano until the devotional had started. Also, one of the speakers was 30 minutes behind schedule and the first speaker was some brazilian guy and I wasn't sure If I knew how to pronounce his name. As people were coming in there was no one playing prelude music so it was honestly super awkward. So I got on the piano and busted out a couple hymns like choose the right and god be with you till we meet again (both of which don't really apply to easter but it worked :D). Once the meeting started a sister missionary who I knew could play some hymns walked in and I announced she would be the pianist and we'd be singing hymn 116. Without missing a beat she took the seat. Half way into the program I announced a special musical number followed by two speakers, one of which was the guy who was late and still hadn't shown up. Literally 60 seconds before the speaker before him finished he walked in, sat down, stood up, and took the podium. WHEW. So now I really can say that everything works itself out. All the stress, the sweat, and yes the tears (no i'm just kidding, I wasn't crying on the stage haha) was all for nothing because the program ran perfectly.

For the blog you can use whatever you want. Sorry again it wasn't as focused on my week but I felt like I should talk more to you today.

I love you so much and hope you have an amazing week!

Love Elder Janis

No comments:

Post a Comment