Monday, August 19, 2013

We Called Them the Devil's Pups

This week DOMINATED. Again... :) Is it just me or does every week seem to be the new best week of my life? I attribute that to the marvelous work I'm involved in. I also think a huge part has to do with my attitude. I believe that no matter where we are or what our circumstances are we can find TRUE peace. President Eyring said, "The peace that passeth understanding does not depend on a geographic place. The place of refuge is finally in our hearts."

My FAVORITE experience this week was teaching a new investigator I. He just graduated High School and is a STUD! When I first met him he was walking into his apartment with his two younger siblings and we stopped to talk with him for a minute. He was interested in a copy of the Book of Mormon so we gave him one and set up an appointment for a visit. For about a month we've been trying to catch him but he hasn't been home. We were finally able to get in contact with him and he invited us to come over and teach him this week. The lesson started super great, the spirit was strong and the things we felt inspired to share came easily. As we continued teaching the restoration we kept feeling it was important to point out how critical the Holy Ghost is in him finding out for himself if our message is true and how he can feel the spirit. At the end of our lesson we asked him how he felt and thought about our message. He told us that he had been trying to hold back tears of joy as we spoke about Joseph Smith and the Book of Mormon. He said that he knew he was feeling the spirit and it felt so good! We then invited him to offer the closing prayer. We each got on our knees and he gave the most sincere prayer I've ever heard. After the prayer he jumped about and shouted, "THIS FEELS SO GOOD!!!!"

Elder Caldwell came down with an ear infection this past Saturday. I guess he had an ear fungus from a job he did 2 years ago and has been fighting it on and off for the last two years. It's acting up and he's been in a lot of pain so we've been in the apartment the last two days. I'm grateful for this opportunity to serve him though. Every situation life throws at us gives us an opportunity to learn a new Christlike attribute. Please pray for him to get better though!!!

This week we had a member of the quorum of the 70 come speak to us. His name is Elder Craig A. Cardon (he spoke in the last general conference). From 9am-4pm we had the privilege of being tutored by him. A few things I pulled away: Something great happens when we cross the threshold of conceptual understanding something and actually experiencing it.

You can be as bold as you are loving.

As teachers, there's a huge difference between pouring information on your pupils and drawing application out with effective questions.

I finally got chased by dogs!!!! I was on exchanges with my District Leader in his area and we were biking through this ghetto neighborhood and these two little yappy dogs started barking at us as we passed them in the front yard. As we continued, one of them took off after my companion who started freaking out and biking faster! I was laughing so hard I didn't realize the second dog was chasing me until it almost sunk it's tiny mouth into my leg!! So then I was freaking out and biking like heck! They chased us all the way down the street, followed us onto the next street, and chased us halfway down that block! We called them the devils pups cause they had to have been possessed! 

I was reading in the scriptures this morning and came across this insightful scripture: "And they were lifted up in pride, even to the persecution of many of their brethren. Now this was a great evil, which did cause the more humble part of the people to suffer great persecutions, and to wade through much affliction. Nevertheless they did fast and pray oft, and did wax stronger and stronger in their humility, and firmer and firmer in their faith of Christ, unto the filling their souls with joy and consolation, yea, even to the purifying and the sanctification of their hearts, which sanctification cometh because of their yielding their hearts unto God." (Heleman 3:34-35) It struck me how tribulations are a huge opportunity for us to grow and develop. If they didn't have persecutions, they wouldn't have needed to turn their hearts completely over to God and thus would not have been sanctified. Whatever it is you are going through, know that if you turn it all over to God - your hopes, dreams, desires, fears, and trials - he will "fill [your] souls with joy and consolation, yea, even to the purifying and the sanctification of [your] hearts". This is my testimony.

I love you all, have a wonderful week!

Homemade, authentic mexican tacos!! (A kind lady just gave them to us!)


One of our member's SICK golf cart!


No comments:

Post a Comment