Monday, July 15, 2013

I Opened My Eyes a New Man

From July 8, 2013

Dad is so good at changing his attitude to adjust to his circumstances. I had an experience yesterday where I thought of him and was able to change myself to adjust to my circumstance! I was walking through an apartment complex and for whatever reason I wasn't in a bold frame of mind and I had wimped out on talking to someone that I could see on the other side of the parking lot. I told my companion I needed to change real fast so I closed my eyes, explained to myself how I was at the moment, and then told myself how I would be upon opening my eyes. I opened my eyes a new man and had 15+ solid conversations with people the rest of that evening. :) I'll have to tell you about one of them that was super cool!

BTW, Is there anything you would like more details on in my letters? More pictures? More info??? :)

I had a great learning experience this week. On Saturday evening we were biking around contacting less actives and my companion had given me the map and was having me lead out to each house. It was a bit frustrating because our area is pretty large and none of the roads are straight but it helped me learn our area a lot better and I understood that. Well it was getting late and we had one more person we had wanted to contact but he wasn't on the map so I gave the lead back over to my companion since he knew where he lived. For whatever reason he still wanted me to lead which was not smart since I didn't know where we were going. I guess to me it was not smart but really I was super tired and I was getting grumpy so I didn't think of how it could help me :) he told me vaguely where the guy lived which made me even more frustrated so I took off down the rd. towards the guys house at top speed so I could put some distance between me and him. I was so frustrated that I didn't even want to contact the guy if we ever even did get there!! SO WHY GO?! Yeah.... Why go? I guess I realized that if we don't have the spirit with us we shouldn't go. We shouldn't be missionaries either if we don't have the spirit or a desire to be there. So I talked with my comp about my frustration and cleared it up and got to sleep as fast as possible that night :D My testimony was for sure strengthened in the truth that I perform TERRIBLY when I am tired. I love that it's a weakness though because I can work on mastering it. I have a new favorite quote: "Our body is the instrument of our mind and the foundation of our character." - Boyd K. Packer. If we master our minds we master our bodies. I love it.

I'm out of time! I love you all! Have a wonderful week!

LOVE ELDER JANIS!!!!!!!!

Left to right Elder Johnson, Elder Wilcox, Elder Janis, Elder Diaz. This is in our new apartment and Johnson and Diaz are our spanish roommates

No comments:

Post a Comment