Monday, June 30, 2014

We Needed To Knock On That Door

This week went so fast! The transfer went even faster! My second transfer in Maricopa will be finished this Wednesday and a lot of changes are coming. Elder Hyer got called and will be transferring to who knows until the meeting! Elder Naeata, the Tongan missionary who's been living with us is also getting transferred. Our ward has us and a companionship of sister missionaries and they're both getting transferred so I'll be the old dog for the 3 new missionaries coming to our ward. I am really excited for everything up ahead! Our area continues to be blessed and we're teaching so much! 

We had a special experience a few nights ago 20 minutes before it was time to go in for the day. We didn't have any more appointments to go to so it was up to us what we wanted to do. It would have been really easy to call it good because it had already been a really successful day. We decided to follow the Spirit on where we should go and after a few minutes of driving we felt prompted to park the car and walk down a certain street. It was dark outside and Maricopa doesn't believe in street lights so when it's night time it's pitch black. My ipad had died so I was just going to plan on not needing to read any scriptures. The spirit rebuked me and I took my Book of Mormon with me even though I didn't see how I would even be able to read it due to how dark it was outside. 

As we walked we passed by a house with open blinds and in the family room there was a large gathering of people who looked to be having a good time. We kept walking hoping to run into someone on the street to have a gospel conversation with but I kept feeling like we needed to go back and knock on the door. I will admit I was afraid and I really didn't want to bother anyone late at night. Finally I couldn't take it anymore and I turned to Elder Hyer and told him we needed to knock on that door. He agreed and we walked back. After we knocked, we could see that the lady coming to the door was actually a lady in our ward. 

She welcomed us in and introduced us to everyone sitting around the living room. This included her husband and three kids, and some family friends who were visiting for the week from Show Low. We talked with them a minute before the husband got up to leave. After he left the wife told us that he had left the church 13 years ago. This was a source of great pain to her. The family friends visiting also had similar challenges with their husbands and we learned further that they were there in town to get special treatment for a daughter that was very sick. I was so grateful I had grabbed my Book of Mormon because the scripture I wanted to share with them was Alma 36:3: "And now, O my son Helaman, behold, thou art in thy youth, and therefore, I beseech of thee that thou wilt hear my words and learn of me; for I do know that whosoever shall put their trust in God shall be supported in their trials, and their troubles, and their afflictions, and shall be lifted up at the last day." As we talked about trials and Christ's ability to help us, the Spirit filled the room and comforted many hearts. Each of the women shared their testimony of how Christ has been helping them through their current struggles which was very powerful. We left with a prayer and a memory I will not soon forget.

A 9 year old young man we've been teaching was baptized this week! His Dad baptized him and after coming up out of the water, he asked his son to go back under to pull the plug for the font.

Things continue to move forward! I love you all! Have a great week!

Love Elder Janis

No comments:

Post a Comment