Monday, June 17, 2013

They're Going To Hunt Us Down

June 10, 2013

This was the best week I've had on my mission so far!!! (Yeah, I know you're saying isn't this like one of the only weeks you've had so far?) But my heart is full and I can't imagine greater experiences than the ones I've had this week.

The most exciting event was the baptism of H and J who were married last week. H asked me to baptize her and J asked Elder Carter to baptize him. H went first and even though I was nervous, it went perfect. J's took 3 times! The first time Elder Carter messed the wording up, the second time J's hand poked out, and the third time Elder Carter slammed him under the water and sent waves through the font hahahaha. When we were changing I told Elder Carter and J that Elder Carter was so wet I was confused which one of them got baptized. It was such a special experience though. 2 months ago H and J's lives consisted of drugs, smoking, and alcohol. 2 months later they're married, don't drink, don't smoke, don't do drugs, don't swear, don't work on sunday, and don't hit each other either :) They keep telling us that if we leave and never come back to see them they're going to hunt us down. They're two of my closest friends, I love them both so much. Seeing the way they've allowed the gospel to affect them has increased my testimony of the atonement and the gospel so much.

I HAVE to tell you about this hobo we met the other day hahahaha. We were riding our bikes around just talking to people inviting them to listen to our message of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ and we found this guy named Louis who's in his 50's. Dang, he was so funny. He told us stories of people being mean to him and how he would react. For example a car drove past and someone threw something at him and he chased after the car with both birdies flipped up screaming everything rotten at them he could think of until the car was out of sight. Try picturing this crazy 50 year old with long hair that hadn't been washed in years running down the middle of a busy street after a car. I love my mission :D We talked with him for about half an hour and we shared the plan of salvation with him and gave him our number and he said he wanted to call us back and talk more but I think he has short term memory loss cause he kept asking us our names. He even admitted he was crazy. He said, "Dude, I'm insane in the membrane. Mi Loco."

I saw a list of bullet points titled life's little instructions that I wanted to share:

-Become the most positive and optimistic person you know.
-Send lots of valentines. Sign them, "Someone who thinks you're terrific".
-Watch a sunrise at least once a year.
-Plant a tree on your birthday.
-Think big thoughts but relish small pleasures.
-Avoid negative people.
-Be the first to say "Hello".
-Keep secrets.
-Plant flowers every spring.
-Always accept an outstretched hand.
-Wave at kids on school buses.
-Live your life as an exclamation, not an explanation.
-Don't be afraid to say "I made a mistake."
-Keep your promises. No matter what.
-Count your blessings.
-Call your mother (unless you're serving the Lord :))
-Sing in the shower (my companion hates that one now :D)
-Leave the toilet seat in the down position.
-Learn at least 3 clean jokes.
-Compliment 3 people every day.
-Be there when people need you.

Shout out to Wendel Wells who I saw at the Mesa Temple this past week for our zone temple trip! It was so crazy! All I heard was someone shout my name (which is so weird to hear your name as a missionary!!) and I looked around and saw Wendel! Two days later the Wells took me and my companion out to lunch right before our baptism with H and J!

Love,
Elder Janis


Elder Carter


Elder Janis

 Baptism of H and J


The picture at the temple in order left to right: our ZL Elder Harder, Me, my companion Elder Carter, our AWESOME DL Elder Egbert, his companion Elder Latimer (Happiest guy in the world), and our other ZL elder Niederhauser (The one I was on splits with and almost got punched in the face.)

 This is Joe. He's 84 and is the funniest man ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment