Tuesday, June 4, 2013

We Live in an Oven

This week was HOT. This is the only way I know how to describe it: We live in an oven. When we bike around the wind is usually blowing and it's a hot wind. Everything is hot. But I love it :) It's dry and warm and hot and we sweat a lot but it just feels like we're working super hard.

Yesterday I totally bent up my back tire on my bike. I was meeting our district leader at the church building for a baptismal interview we had scheduled with him for H and J and we were late so we flew into the parking lot super fast and I thought I'd look cool if I did a sick powerslide so I did a powerslide that really was pretty cool but it bent my tire way up so It's unrideable till I get it fixed. It's under a 2 year warranty though so I shouldn't have to pay for it.

H and J got married!!!! I'll upload some pics. It was the funniest wedding I will probably ever wittiness. We cover 3 wards but the bishop of the ward they're in performed the ceremony. To start off, when H was coming up the isle, she had her 5 year old daughter with her as the flower girl and half way up the aisle she decided she didn't want to be the flower girl anymore so she threw them down, screamed, and sat on the ground! H was so mad!!! Her daughter was too stubborn to get up so we continued the ceremony with her sitting in the middle of the aisle with her arms folded and the meanest scorn on her face. When the bishop was giving them advice and marrying them they were so funny cause they both had the most stern expressions on their face. You'll see in the pics I took :) They are both such awesome people. They're very down to earth and very forgiving. I wish you all could meet them, you'd instantly love them!

We had a really cool experience this week working with a less active family actually with the last name of Bingham! We went by night to visit them and we had a really good conversation with the Dad and shared a spiritual thought. The next day we had an appointment at that we wanted to bring a member with us to and the father and daughter we wanted to take didn't answer our calls. A minute after trying to get a hold of them and failing, Brother Bingham called us and told us he wanted us to meet his 16 year old son and try and be a positive influence on him. We had a moment of revelation and asked if his son would be willing to come with us to our lesson and it all worked out and he came! We had a really good lesson with this 12 year old girl (who's favorite band is the Red Hot Chili Peppers ;)) about the restoration and the 16 year old son Q was solid. He bore an awesome testimony of how the gospel has blessed his family and also how he gained a testimony of the book of mormon.

Here's some advice, lessons, and thoughts I've had this week. 

1. When Satan reminds us of our past, remind him of his future.

2. We will find what we seek for.
    I've been thinking of how one individual can gain so much from activity in the gospel and another gains nothing or goes inactive. Truly if we want to gain anything from the gospel we need to seek it. If we spend our time looking for why the gospel isn't true than eventually that's where we will end up. If we seek for a testimony of Joseph Smith and the book of mormon then we will find it. It's up to us to make sure we're looking for the right things.

3. The atonement is not only to clean our sins but to enable us to be powerful beyond our capabilities. The atonement is the power Nephi accessed through faith to break his bands that his brother tied him up with. "But it came to pass that I prayed unto the Lord, saying: O Lord, according to my faith which is in thee, wilt thou deliver me from the hands of my brethren; yea, even give me strength that I may burst these bands with which I am bound." (1st Nephi 7:17) Nephi didn't pray that his circumstances would change, he prayed that he would receive the strength to change his circumstances.

I have such a strong testimony of the atonement and the book of mormon.

I love you all so much!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment