Sunday, December 21, 2014

Send In the Big Boys

Sent on December 1, 2014

So many great things happened this week! #1 we found a whole ton of new investigators by..... Tracting! Yes, tracting! (Our mission doesn't typically ever tract because it's more effective to work through how many members we have.) The church has this huge Christmas initiative rolling out and we challenged our zone this last week to start tracting. We have pass along cards that say "He is the Gift" and there's a 2 minute video about Christ being the gift of Christmas and it's really powerful! So when we knock on someones door we get to know them a little before giving them a card and showing the video. Then we invite them to participate in sharing the gift by thinking of people they know we can share the video with. Then we ask when we can come back and share more of our Christmas message with them. It's working quite nicely :) One funny experience we had was this one door we knocked and this guy wearing girl clothes opened the door. He was totally high and asked what we were up to. We started to share our message and this other guy sitting on the couch by the door yelled, "We're not interested! Can't you see we're trying to get high?!" Then the guy wearing girl clothes smiled at us and slowly closed the door. Weird huh?

We've been working with this Marshallese family the last few weeks and we've been really trying to get them to come to church! On Saturday we stopped by and they said they were coming. We stopped by again on Sunday morning and they said they were coming. Then when Church started we got a text from the dad saying, "We're not going to make it because I have really bad diarrhea and it's getting worse." Poop. :/ 

We had a great lesson last night with our good friend Charles, Chuck, Papa... He opened the door and said, "I'll give you 10 minutes to say what you have to say." An hour and a half later we were laughing and slapping each other on the back and high fiving on our way out. We found out he is a free mason and he asked us if we knew about the two angels that stand as sentinels. "For sure" I said. He asked me what I thought they looked like. Then he gave us his idea. "I bet they're about 7 or 8 feet tall weighing 300-400 pounds of solid muscle. Those are the angels I pray for when I ask for God to send me defending angels! 'Please God, don't send me your wimpy ones!, I want the big tough ones!' JC (jesus christ) up above then turns to his main man Gabriel and says, 'that Chuck guy is praying for angels again. Send in the big boys.' And then all my problems go away". What a character! He also gave some great marriage advice! "If you 'win', you lose. If you 'lose', you win." That means if you're arguing with your wife and you win the argument you've created a rift between you and you've really just lost. Now, if you are humble enough to let go of your pride and work it out, you win! I love that!! 

Thanksgiving was sweet! We had dinner with our recent convert Jennifer and her family and the food was so good! I think it's my favorite holiday now. We played some games as a zone in the morning and the evening and had a blast.

My birthday went great! Mom sent me a Halloween package a month ago that finally got here so that was fun to open on my birthday :D I'm now 21.. Man, that night was so crazy! It's sort of a blur, I can't really remember what happened.

I love you all so much! Thanks for your prayers and support!

Love Elder Janis

No comments:

Post a Comment