Monday, September 8, 2014

I'm Not Joking People!!

This week was awesome!!!! This past Saturday night was one of the craziest experiences of my mission.. Elder Glencoe is the man, he should be in Ripley's believe it or not.. So we visited a member to figure out how we could get her brother to approve his 9 year old daughter getting baptized. While there, she fed us each a plate with 2 chicken legs, a side of mashed potatoes, rice, and corn. She then gave each of us a big slice of cake. I was a little concerned because we had our dinner appointment right after! My companion elder Glencoe asked for a second slice of cake before we biked over to our dinner appointment.

When we got there, it was with a hispanic family and the mom had made these big sandwich kinda things called tortas! Imagine a big chicken fried steak sandwiched between lettuce, tomatoes, onions, avacodos, all smashed between two huge buns! One would be plenty and I was already full. My companion downed the first one and asked for a second one even before I was half way through my first! The mom made him a second and assumed I'd also like a second. During my last few bites of the first one I was sweating and really struggling to keep it all in. Boom, she dropped number two on my plate. Elder Glencoe had already finished his second AND HE ASKED FOR A THIRD..... I'm not joking people!! He went for it!! This was real life. I'm a witness. As I neared half way through my second he had already finished his third. At this point he stopped but then the attention was back on me. I had really been struggling and honestly I hadn't said a word for the last 20 minutes because I was trying so hard to eat! They asked if I would like a third. It must have been the look I had on my face but the husband said, "elder janis, if you're full you don't have to eat." I was so happy but angry at the same time! He could have said that a long time ago!!! ;) Anyways, this was probably the closest experience I've had with death on my mission. Let me repeat again everything my companion ate: 2 chicken legs, a side of mashed potatoes, rice, corn, 2 large slices of cake, and 3 monster Tortas!!!! I'm still in shock..

We met this cool old guy this last week. He's 87 and staunch catholic. While we were contacting some in actives I felt a prompting that we should tract out the row of apartments we were at. When we came to the second door it was open and inside was this sweet old man who looked at us and said, "You're the mormon boys! Come on in!" We talked about the similarities between catholicism and mormonism and had a really positive interaction. He's somewhat nervous about passing so I read to him the words of Paul to the Corinthians in 1 Corinthians 15:52-58 which talks about how the sting of death is conquered by Jesus Christ. He really appreciated the visit and asked us to come see him again.

I love you all so much!!

Love Elder Janis 

No comments:

Post a Comment